Giovanni Liuzzi

Born in Martina Franca on 15 May 1942, he graduated in Philosophy from the University of Bari on 9 March 1966. From 1966 to 1998 he was full professor of History and Philosophy in high schools; leaving the service, he devoted himself full time to studies on the local history and dialect of Martina Franca. Since 1972 he has actively participated in the life of the local periodical "Day by Day" as editor. In 1977 he was one of the founders of the Humanism Group of the Stone and within the association he holds the positions of member of the Board of Directors and head of the History Section, proposing and editing in this capacity with Domenico Blasi the publication of volumes and manuscripts fundamental to the knowledge of local history, such as the three tomes of the Chronological History (1980 1983) of the archpriest Isidoro Chirulli; the late eighteenth-century chronicle of the Anomato (1988); the 1728 Audience of the Duchy of Martina (1994). Since 1980 he has also been editor of the magazine Riflessioni, on which he has published numerous essays on the history, toponymy, popular traditions, the transformations of the territory of Martina, Locorotondo, Alberobello. He is also responsible for editing the latest magazine published by the Gruppo, Città & Cittadini, on which he has published, among other things, two extensive essays on the medieval fortifications of Martina. Since 1980 he has been working on a vast project to redefine the medieval history of some municipalities of the Murgia dei Trulli, paying particular attention to the feudal settlements of the monastic orders from the 11th century onwards.

Author's books